Fast Facts About Aiken, South Carolina
Population (2020): 31,428
Median Income (2020): $29,248
- Individual: $29,248
- Household: $56,202
- North Augusta, SC – 27 min
- Augusta, SC – 34 min
- Martinez, GA – 33 min
County: Aiken County
Type of Location: City
- Augusta Airport – 23.6 miles
Why is Living in Aiken, South Carolina Nice?
Nicknamed “The City of Trees,” living in Aiken, South Carolina means you are surrounded by nature.
In addition, living in Aiken, South Carolina means that you are in great company. Aiken was named the “best small town in the South” by Southern Living and was given the All-America City Award in 1997.
What is Aiken Known For?
Significantly, it is one of the largest cities of the Central Savannah River Area.
Living in Aiken, South Carolina also puts you in close proximity to the University of South Carolina Aiken. Aiken, South Carolina is also a haven for the arts with Juilliard in Aiken bringing world-class musicians and other performers to the area.
Aiken is known for being one of the nation’s top equestrian towns. In addition, its horse racing and polo sports draw considerable attention nationwide. It boasts the Thoroughbred Hall of Fame.
Historically, Aiken was known for being a railroad town. Specifically, it was home to the very first steam-powered passenger train in the U.S.
No trip to Aiken would be complete without a visit to the DuPont Planetarium. You can also discover the location of the only camera obscura in the country.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Aiken, South Carolina?
The Top 10 highest-rated restaurants in Aiken, South Carolina are:
- Malia’s, for both American and international cuisine
- The Willcox Restaurant, for American fare and a full bar
- Betsy’s Round The Corner, for American food in a diner atmosphere
- Aiken Brewing Co., known for their American food and comprehensive brewery
- What’s Cookin’ Downtown, for American food in a cafe setting
- Casa Bella, for authentic Italian cuisine
- Apizza Di Napoli, for brick oven authentic Italian
- Tako Sushi, for inventive sushi dishes
- City Billiards, for American food and entertainment
- Taj Aiken Indian Cuisine, for authentic Indian food